Childhood Classic Rainbow Cake




Remember when you were younger at school and once a week you would be surprised with the delicious treat of rainbow cake? Not the rainbow cake you would think of now with the multi-coloured layers, but a soft sponge slice with a blanket of sweet icing smothering the top of the small cake tower, finished with colourful sprinkles to provide us with the famous name of a rainbow cake. Some of you may have had the delight of tasting this cake when you were at school, others may not. Nonetheless I was eager to re-create a childhood classic when I came across the recipe many years later, eager to discover if the cake would taste as delicious as it did to little me. I would love for you to try it too!

You will need:
           
             300g Butter/Margarine
             275g Caster Sugar
             2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
             4 Eggs
             300g Self Raising Flour
             Icing Sugar
             Sprinkles (of your choosing but I would recommend the rainbow strands to truly re-create this recipe)


First of all you must grease your baking tray and pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees C.

Then, collect the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and cream the two ingredients together. Then add in the eggs to the mixture, followed by the flour and vanilla extract.

Once you are happy and are sure the ingredients are mixed together well, pour into your baking tray.

Place the tray into your oven and allow to bake for 25-30 minutes.
Note: you can check if the cake is finished baking by removing it from the oven and gently inserting a knife into the sponge, checking to see if there are any ingredients sticking to the knife when removed from the sponge. If the knife is clean, your sponge does not need any longer in the oven.

While the cake is cooling it is time to make your icing!
For this step it is best to follow the instructions on the box of your icing sugar, as this is the instructions that I will be following.

In my school the icing was plain white but you can choose a colour that you prefer!(I have heard in many schools the icing for this cake was pink!)

Once you have finished making your icing, neatly pour the icing on top of your sponge and ensure it is evenly spread. Now add your sprinkles and voila! You have your childhood rainbow cake.

Of course you aren't going to eat the cake out of the tray so allow your cake to cool before presenting your cake on a plate or cake stand.




I had so much fun making this cake and I hope you will too! If you do create the rainbow cake please take a photo and tweet me or tag me on instagram (links are under my header). Thank you for reading!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top